Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Redemption Cookies

Sunday afternoon the Rocky theme song started playing in my head and I thought to myself, “I can do this.” I announced to Ryan that I was going to bake a batch of cookies. I said it firmly. He was very supportive.

I am not kidding, that is in fact Ryan, and I am not makin’ this up, he is giving me a supportive thumbs up on making the cookies. You know, cause despite his experience with my baking, he believes in me.


I got my workstation ready (I don’t have a printer so I had to put my laptop up to give me the recipe).

And I piled all my ingredients together…I have tiny counters so it’s not like I can “lay them out” like some people. I will confess I was missing vanilla and I was fully prepared to substitute by using some vanilla hot chocolate in lieu of some of the cocoa powder in the recipe but I actually admitted this to Ryan prior to attempting this and he took me to the grocery store by force. He really feels strongly about vanilla I guess.

As a side note, it was his idea to document the "time I make really good cookies" and suggested I take these pictures as I go. I said that I was worried about doing so in case...but he said, "Hey! Don't even say that" and he got all Yoda like with telling me how I could totally do this. As if that awesome thumbage were not support enough.




He was not ALL the support I had though. I had a little other help.





My liquid aide:














And my other fan:






I also busted out my new toy. It’s called a “mixer” or an “egg beater” or something like that. My grandma gave it to me recently…it goes in a black case and has little metal attachments for it. It’s what the pros use. I might seem like I am joking, but I am getting quite the collection of kitchen gadgets I never thought I would personally own.








Then, I did like this:















And I got this:

And they were moist an hour later, and still soft and chewy the next day! And I took some to work, fed them to the same bunch I assaulted with my last batch, and no one spit them out or threw them at anything. One guy even asked if there were more later in the day...only they were gone. And that was weird, because the batch I took to work was not smaller than the one a few weeks ago, but a few weeks ago they sat untouched for days.

Anyway, it’s clear. I can apparently…sometimes…bake a freakin’ batch of cookies.

Also, just adding to the pride, I had my regular Tuesday kitchen lesson from my mother...I mean she calls me every Tuesday and walks me through some dish or other...and today happened to be St. Patrick's Day. I am getting better at this, I think. If you care to click, Here is my lovely St. Patrick's Day spread...Ryan, Elsa, and I didn't eat nearly this much but it was totally pretty, right?

2 comments:

McKenna Gordon said...

Good job!! Steve said they were good. I want to see the St. Patty's Day spread, but the link doesn't work!

Zaissa said...

Kenna, you are faster than I am! I was doing the link as you were commenting. Should work now. ;)

P.S. Did Steve tell you I MADE him IM you that they were good. I NEEDED you to know.

I am getting my little recipe box...you ganna help me fill it up?