Friday, July 10, 2009

There is a Melody, Keeps Coming Back to Me, Bouncing Round and Round it Has a Merry Sound, And Though It's Mine Today, Soon it Will Slip Away...

I am an alien.


Like, from space.


My ship crashed here in 1985 when I was a small child and my alien sister Melody and I were separated from the adult aliens at the crash site and then found and subsequently adopted by humans. Our fellow aliens are still heart broken and searching for the children they lost. Ryan just learned all of this about me.This was one of the fantasies my childhood friend Melody and I lived in together.

We were also quite frequently princesses on roller skates zooming around the kingdom disguised as regular people around the villagers, who didn’t know we were the princesses, and we crusaded against the renovation construction that threatened the little church choir room where we met and reluctantly became friends.

We were seven and just finishing second grade. My mom was the church organist and her dad sang in the choir. We sat and glared at each other for maybe two or three Thursday nights. Then we played school. She was the teacher. She was ALWAYS the teacher. And we played spy (where we snuck in to the chapel and watched the choir practice and they didn’t know we were even there! Oh yes, we were slick).

We fell in love with a set of best friend boys…Reuben Ruckman and Jonathan McGelfrish. Yes, those are real names.

By third grade we were joined at the hip. After begging, I even managed to get my mom to let me go to the same Charter school that Melody attended. This is us the summer after third grade. The summer a towel made the world go 'round.
She moved an eternity away in 5th grade…almost an hour and a half!!!! Fortunately her father commuted and lived near his job on the weekdays, so he swung by and took me home with him some weekends.

It wasn’t till after high school that we lost touch. I grew up, more or less, got married, went to school, had a baby, got a bit fatter, developed some laugh lines.

And then, not very long ago, through the magic of the Internet, Melody and I were able to talk, and show one another our lives. It’s weird when someone you knew as a child grows up and then shows back up. There is a small child out in this world that looks just like a little one of her. Same brown hair. And my little blond has the same color of hair I had when I was seven. Melody and I are Lynn and Sue (our mothers) and we created our little selves all over. Life really does go in circles. Doesn't it?

Elsa is the age we were when Melody and I met, but Melody’s little Jewel is a few years younger. So, we can’t put them together and see ourselves…a Blondie and brunette…playing together as if we were looking back in time.

But I just had my Addey and Melody tells me her next one is on the way. Our new babies will be close in age. About as close as we are actually and I can’t help but think…

What if they have giant oval heads and bug eyes like our alien parents?!?!?!?!!?!?

Happy Birthday Be Fri (in 4 days), you are 30 something. I am still just 30. I knew being a month younger would pay off someday.

*The title is in reference to a song we used to know years ago.

14 comments:

Melody said...

Soaring High Like a Big Balloon. And I'll Sing! Sing a simple Song.....

How come it seems eons ago when we were seven! Probably because it was.

Thanks for the birthday wish and little trip back in time. LOVE THE PICTURE!! I loved that bunny!

Miss ya!

Unknown said...

Hi,

Sweet story.

I was googling the lyrics to a song I learned in elementary school and came across your blog entry.

Do you happen to know what the name of the song is?

Zaissa said...

Terri,

I think (but I am not sure) that it's called "There is a Melody".

Unknown said...

the song is there is a melody... does any one know the rest of the words? i also ssang this song in elementary school and was googling for the lyrics but this blog was the only site that mentions it, so sad because it's a great song.

Anonymous said...

There is a melody, keeps coming back to me. Bouncing round and round it has a merry tune. And though it's not my own still it's my very own song to sing any day I please.

This is what I remember from the song, although reading the other post I seem to recall the verse with ''soon it will slip away'' as well but unfortunately that part has already slipped away from my mind. However the rest does ''keep coming back to me'' nearly 20 years later.

Anonymous said...

I remember singing that song when I was in 4th for chorus!! I completely forgot the title of the piece, but if anyone know it, please tell me! I miss that pretty song!! :D

Anonymous said...

there is a melody, keeps coming back to me, bouncin round and round, it has a merry tune, and though it's mine today, soon it will slip away, sour-ring high like a big balloon, so i'll sing out this simple song, sing as i walk alone, lift up the melody to the sky! and 'll hear how the tune goes round, ringing its merry sound, calling to all who pass by.

Anonymous said...

Do you now the writer of "There is a Melody"?

Unknown said...

hey guys.!!....I was working and out of the blue, quite subconciously really, starting humming the tune...took me myself by surprise...i used to sing it back in school.

Well starting googling every ounce of the residue left of the song..lool. Voila.!
Thank you for posting the lyrics.
Brings back lotsa memories.!!...i remember one day, at one point in the song I got so excited n missed a note..yup bad timing, I ws singing on top of my lungs... just when the group went silent for the chorus to begin...ouch it was embarrassing...! lol
Thanks again.!
God Bless

Anonymous said...

Hey, I just came across the title looking for that song :)
No I'm desperately looking for it, thanks so much :)

cindybubbles said...

This should be the entire song:

There is a melody, keeps coming back to me.
Bouncing round and round, it has a merry tune.
And though it's mine today, soon, it will slip away
Soaring high, like a big balloon!

And I'll sing out my simple song
Sing as I walk along
Lift up the melody to the sky!

And I'll hear how the tune goes round
Ringing its merry sound
Calling to all who pass by!

There is a melody, keeps coming back to me.
Bouncing round and round, it has a merry tune!
And though it's not well-known, still it's my very own
Song to sing anywhere I go!

So I'll sing out my simple song
Sing as I walk along
Lift up the melody to the sky!

And I'll hear how the tune goes round
Ringing its merry sound
Calling to all who pass by!

Sing your song to the gentle wind!
Hear how your tune sails softly by!
Soon, your song has flown away
Its melody lost to the empty sky!

Sing my special song!
Sing to the gentle wind!
Hear how the tune sails softly by!
Soon, my song has flown
Far, far away with its melody to the empty sky!

So I'll sing out my simple song
Sing as I walk along
Lift up the melody to the sky!

And I'll hear how the tune goes round
Ringing its merry sound
Calling to all who pass by!

cindybubbles said...

This should be the entire song:

There is a melody, keeps coming back to me.
Bouncing round and round, it has a merry tune.
And though it's mine today, soon, it will slip away
Soaring high, like a big balloon!

And I'll sing out my simple song
Sing as I walk along
Lift up the melody to the sky!

And I'll hear how the tune goes round
Ringing its merry sound
Calling to all who pass by!

There is a melody, keeps coming back to me.
Bouncing round and round, it has a merry tune!
And though it's not well-known, still it's my very own
Song to sing anywhere I go!

So I'll sing out my simple song
Sing as I walk along
Lift up the melody to the sky!

And I'll hear how the tune goes round
Ringing its merry sound
Calling to all who pass by!

Sing your song to the gentle wind!
Hear how your tune sails softly by!
Soon, your song has flown away
Its melody lost to the empty sky!

Sing my special song!
Sing to the gentle wind!
Hear how the tune sails softly by!
Soon, my song has flown
Far, far away with its melody to the empty sky!

So I'll sing out my simple song
Sing as I walk along
Lift up the melody to the sky!

And I'll hear how the tune goes round
Ringing its merry sound
Calling to all who pass by!

mycah75 said...

Wow. Never thought I would see those lyrics again!!!! Thank you for posting all the lyrics, now I have another cherry song to piss my co-workers off with. Rock on fellow songbirds, soar high like a big ballon! Pax

nessili said...

did we all sing this back in elementary school? I found this post after the song popped in my head and I went looking for the lyrics. thanks to @cindybubbles for the lyrics :)