Monday, January 3, 2011

Happy New Year!

I learned a long time ago that there is no magic in January that makes me better at being thinner, smarter, nicer, or more productive. So, all year, I just plug along delegating the energy and time I have to what’s most important to me as I go.

I like to make my New Year’s Resolutions like I choose my sports teams; I pick my pony after the fact, cheer on whomever has already won, and woo hoo! Total satisfaction every time!

So here they are, my resolutions for 2010:

Number one: Spend about 1/3 of the year letting other people clean my house, care for my kids, and make my meals while I sit in bed.

Number two: Survive at least two near death experiences.

Number three: Add a few gray hairs to the heads of both my mother and grandmother.

Number four: Get Elsa to her eight birthday, and Adele to her first without major injury to either party.

Number five: Laugh with my husband/best friend at least one thousand times.

Number five: Have anesthesia administered, and undergo the first incision of surgery within the same 90 second time span.

Number six: Get our baby boy here still breathing.

Number seven: Become the world class master of the soft-bake chocolate chip cookie.

For 2010 I am Check, Check, Check, Check, Over-achieved, Thank Heaven-Yes!, and barely managed but it counts for the win, and hands- down- no-argument true dat!

Clearly, it’s far too early to predict what my resolutions will be for 2011. Here are a few on my wish list:

· Read to my kids enough that when they are grown up, certain books feel to them like a part of their childhood they can take with them to their own children

· Have a clean house, warm dinner, and set table ready every Sunday night when Elsa gets home from visiting Paul for the weekend

· Laugh 2000 times with my best friend, again

· Take Adele to the Tiki-Tiki-Tiki-Tiki-Tiki Room

· Teach my girls how to take a wave without washing out to sea

· Dance with my babies every day

· Hear Benjamin’s laugh every day

· Get a flu shot (What? Their important!)

· Tell Elsa to keep up with me this spring while we hike up to one of the most unique and beautiful places on the planet. (I love Delicate Arch and ever since I first hiked up there, I have been waiting for her to get old enough to come with me.)

· Stay in a raft that’s navigating at least class three rapids

· Take roller skates off of our blistered feet at least 20 times before next year


2 comments:

Jenna Marie said...

I like that way better than making a list and keeping it. Write a list that you already did!! That is brilliant!! I am totally stealing that from you. At least this way you feel accomplished! :)

Julie L said...

What a creative recap of last year! Glad you aren't setting goals to do the same again this year. Your 2011 goals do sound ever so fun! I'm glad you survived '10 to aim for '11.